Re: OT: goodbye Joe Zawinul

A more dubious achievment: Joe gave Jaco his first taste of cocaine. The rest was history.
So the last great one left is Sonny Rollins I guess. Ornette maybe, but I would put Sonny over him in regards to legend status.

From: Douglas Baldwin <coyotelk@optonline.net>
I saw Joe exactly once, at one of the clubs in Manhattan - the Blue Note, perhaps. Had a band with a crew of young players. He was a pleasure. I'm with Per on copying Josef when he wrote:

His phrasing have been echoing within my own playing. As I usually
want to fight back influences I happen to pick up from other
musicians I have never felt that way about Zawinul. Maybe because his
greatness did not draw on "ego" but rather expressing some universal
musicality....?

Heard Miles called Joe "Bounce." Why? Cause he was one bad Czech.
Play some notes for Joe today, the way he'd want to hear them.
Douglas Baldwin, coyote-at-large
www.thecoyote.org
coyotelk@optonline.net

"The volume knob on your telepathy is your morality."
- Stephen Gaskin, The Farm