Re: Self Promoting

   Zoe, totally agree and I personally didn't think you were being
modest.  :)  I get the whole grape vine and word of mouth bit, as that's
how I've gotten some pretty amazing opportunities / gigs myself.

   As Bill mentioned, it's good stuff to know, and I personally might take
it a bit further (as you both alluded to) in the sense that I'd say that
the skill of self promotion is not only good to know, but really an
absolute necessity if one wants to survive in the creative fields /
entertainment world.  I also have to devote a good bit of my time to self
promotion and playing my own manager for my career, even in addition to
having agents sending me gigs / casting calls and such.  And that's more
common than I think most people realize...

anyway, blah blah blah!  :)  Thanks for the note and best of luck to
you!  You rock!

Look forward to catching you in LA!...

Smiles,

CQ

At 01:30 PM 6/15/2007 -0700, you wrote:

>Well, music is a full-time job for me which by definition requires
>that half my time (or more) be admin/biz/promotion.
>
>Some bands are better at "creating" news by sending out loads of
>press releases, I haven't done that (although I probably should).
>I've tended to focus on getting gigs and slowly growing my audience.
>In the end a "coup" like this (er, if it was, which is debatable)
>comes from someone hearing you, or someone recommending you, or
>someone reading about you. And in order for that to happen, well,
>people need to know about you, which means being as omnipresent as
>possible. My observance is that omnipresence can be achieved either
>by lots of money, or by the slow, steady growth that comes with years
>of legwork (and I believe strategy #2 gives an artist more staying
>power and makes it less likely that they will crash and burn).
>
>So there is no secret to it and I wasn't trying to be modest, just
>stating how it happened: someone at the station read about me in the
>local paper;  the writer for the paper heard about the cello festival
>which I was headlining;  the cello festival asked me to play cause
>they heard about me from somewhere else...and so on and so on. In my
>experience everything happens this way.
>
>But you're right in that years of little things I've worked hard on
>added up to this particular occurrence.
>
>hope that helps someone! Z
>
>On Jun 15, 2007, at 11:52 AM, Bill Fox wrote:
>
>>Zoe Keating wrote:
>>>they read about me in the local paper, which heard about me from
>>>somewhere else, etc.

>>Zoe, I assume that you are self-promoting as opposed to hiring out
>>that function to a third party?  I think that any musician who
>>doesn't spend as much time on such "non-musical" activities as they
>>spend at practicing is more likely to be doomed to playing in the
>>bedroom than the musician who does spend the time.  Please don't be
>>modest.  Sharing with us how you got a media coup like this will
>>only serve to help the looping community.  It's a lot of hard work
>>to promote oneself and you obviously do it quite well.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Bill
>

>--
>5:10 PM

---
   View my on-line portfolio at:

http://www.onemodelplace.com/CaraQuinn

   "The only things I really think are important, are love, and each
other.  -Then, anything is possible..."

http://home.earthlink.net/~cara-quinn