Re: Doug Wimbush/Tackhead

snips~
-----Original Message-----
From: AKASHMUSIC@aol.com <AKASHMUSIC@aol.com>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
<Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Date: Thursday, March 07, 2002 5:15 AM
Subject: Re: Doug Wimbush/Tackhead

>One of the bestest & coolest shows I ever saw was way back in the
>way-back-machine & somewhere in the Late 80's, at a little club in
>Trenton,
>NJ called "City Gardens".
>
>A band that I had never heard called, "Tackhead", was playing there which
>featured a great bass player named Doug Wimbush, whom I was later told was
>somebody that I had probably heard a bazillion times before on a lot of
>hit
>records which he played on thruout the 80's.

funnily, just this weekend I picked up a Tackhead disc (nowhere near me and
can't recall the name) and realized I had heard them growing up. They were
really funky, D. Wimbush on bass, Adrian Sherwood, Keith LeBlanc
of SugerHill Gang fame and Keith McDonald on guitar. These guys were from
Boogie-Down Bronx when that was a scene. They have one track on the disc I
picked up with Melle Mel ("the Message") kicked his thing. Really raw
music,
made me feel like I was listening to early Stooges or X (energy-wise)!

>&, wasn't Doug Wimbush also involved w/ the early "Sugarhill" Stuff
alongwith >at some points being in & or also involved with Living Color,
Vernon >Reid...right?

see above, not sure if he also did stuff w/SHG, as I would be into hearing
those records spun and hardly ever looked at credits and such as a kid. but
Doug did go on to replace Muzz Skillings in LC when that went down.

>But man ohhhh man, what a great, really fun & inspirational show Tackhead
>gave us that nite as the sway Doug Wimbush held with that bass rocked
>everyone's world thuout the entire evening.
>Warmest Regards,
>John Price/AKASH
>"Remember To Always Kill Your Expectations"

best regards, Pedro Felix - NYC 2002