Re: prog-rock (way off-topic)

----- Original Message -----
From: "rich" <rich@nuvisionsca.com>

: some more suggestions...i guess...although i'm still fuzzy on what
: exactly a 'prog' rock band is...
:
:
: Can
: Neu!
: Amon Duul
: Tangerine Dream
: Hawkwind

Can, Neu!, and Amon Duul II fall under Krautrock, not prog, with Amon Duul
II (and Amon Duul I also, I'd say) falling sideways into spacerock.

Tangerine Dream never fit into the prog-rock category, either.
Electronic-experimental initially, then various forms of ambient, and,
finally, some flavors of New Age.

Hawkwind are definitely not prog.  Spacerock all the way, those boys.  One
of a kind, despite all the personnel changes.

Van Der Graaf Generator/Van Der Graaf fell in and out of the prog-rock and
spacerock categories, but as they tended to be all over the place, I would
hesitate to use the prog label as a focus.  Both the drummer and sax/flute
player were quite accomplished jazz players, the keyboards player went on
build organs for churches, and the vocalist, Peter Hammill, turned up at
one
point with an opera in hand.

David
http://www.mp3.com/DAMcDonald