Re: Discrete/Ambient/SoundScape/Whatever

I've called this, when walking around and finding a good mix of
disparate sound sources, an "Ives point" or "Ives moment".

One of the best of these was when I lived in Brookdale on a hill on
one side of a valley in the Santa Cruz mountains. I walked out my
front door and heard one of the most fantastic singing drones. After
regaining the ability to walk I walked down the hill towards what we
euphemistically called "town". I was about a half of a mile down the
road before I saw the source of the angelic drone: several men on the
roof of the Brookdale Lodge using circular power saws. It was
revelatory.

More on the Brookdale Lodge, which is rumored to be haunted:
<http://www.santacruzpl.org/history/tourism/brookdal.shtml>

Chris

--
  http://www.xfade.com/ | In theory, there is no difference between