Re: oragn emulators?

> you can get a hell of a lot more than just an organ module for $700.  I
picked up
> a Roland MC-307 for $800.  It's got hundreds of dance orientated sounds,
including
> vintage organs and synths.

I'd stay away from anything 'Groove Approved'. Obvious reasons aside, you
aren't going
to get anywhere near the sound of a real organ unless you get a product
designed strictly
for this purpose. Organs are electro-mechanical.. much harder to replicate
the sounds of an old Hammond then ANY
vintage analog synth. 2 things, which make or break an organ sim are the
following: Drawbars,
and Leslie sim. You want drawbars. You don't want to be programming (you
are
going above
and beyond presets, aren't you?) with Inc/Dec buttons or even knobs. There
is one (Obie, I think)
simulator module which has drawbars. The sound quality and, uh, existence
(!) of a Leslie sim is
phenomenally important. If you're not using an actual rotating speaker
(about $500-1000 from Mesa Boogie, Voce, Motion Sound) or a _real_ leslie
(about the same $$$ plus a few hundred lbs), the sim best be damn good.

I hereby nominate the Korg reissue CX3 as best Hammond simulator ever. It
sounds awesome, has the tactile
feeling (perfect organ action, drawbars that feel the same on my Hammond),
and has the 'IT' quality. It looks like something Hammond would make, it
doesn't feature obnoxious colors or anything translucent that would match
an
Imac. It has to be
played and heard to be believed. Of course, it's approx. 3 times your
budget. But, you could find the older, not physical-modelling, analog
original CX3 for around $700, maybe. I hear the leslie sim on that is
crappy
though.

Provided you don't have the neccessary $$$ or simply don't want another
keyboard, I've heard good things
about the Native Instruments B4 (i think that's the right name). Of course
to use it live you'd need a (well-specced) laptop which
could easily make it comparitive (price wise) to the Korg. People rave
about
the E-mu classic keys and vintage keys
modules, which contain not only Hammonds, but Farfisas, Wurlie pianos,
Rhodes, Clavinets, Mellotrons, etc.. but I've
never played them, likewise for the new E-mu module, which Future Music
said
is a good much-cheaper alternative to
the Korg Cx3 (for whatever that's worth, the mag is shit).

>Built in FX are not important  $700

Fine, but just remember when you hear a classic Hammond organ, the sound is
usually 75% Leslie.

Brian.