Re: Discuss Amongst Yourselves....

Although I disagree with the specious New Age-y
comments here about the link between Quantum Physics
and neo-Mysticism , "Godel, Escher, Bach" is essential
reading, especially for loopists. Fortunately, it
predates the mushy New Agers who've co-opted bits of
it to support their myopic post-hippie delusions.

On the subject of music and the vibratory energies set
into motion, Dane Rudyar's book "The Magic of Tone and
the Art of Music" came highly recommended by Glen Branca,
Philip Glass and Terry Riley.

Ironically, I found Rudyar's book a good read despite
my own distaste for the mushy hybrid of Hindu irrationalism
and Astrology he's famous for. One quote that got my notice,
was

  "A tone is a living cell... It has the power of
  reproduction, of making exchanges, of growing.
  It is a microcosom reflecting faithfully the macrocosm,
  its laws, its center. A tone is a solar system."

This reminded me of Herman Helmholz's book "On the
Sensations of Tone" which was the first scientisfic
inquiry into the properties of sound - Helmoltz was
the first to *discover* the harmonic series and upper
partial structure of tone. Highly recommended.

- Larry