Guitar Effects (non-looping content)

I've been experimenting with some electric guitar riffs in ambient music,
as
well as, er, I suppose you'd call some of my stuff a Nine Inch Nails
rip-off.

I was wondering whether anyone had played round with effects to get any
real
weird sounds out of a guitar?

I've used delays, distortions, compressors, vocoders etc, but at the end of
the day you can still recognise the sound as that of a guitar.  I'm after
something really whacky, and I was after some hints.

Can anyone offer suggestions?

Cheers