Re: Re: It could be a new looping device.

At 8:11 AM -0500 10/27/97, Dpcoffin@aol.com wrote:
><<I think most people who want to do nutty midi tricks like this just use
>Opcode's Max. ...
>advantage of max is you program it, so it's uniquely your thing and you
>don't have to be confined to someone else's ideas, or their need to make a
>profit.>>
>I've been gazing at Max with interest for years, and am even on the Max
>list...but trying to make sense of the hi-level gibberish of all those
>MAX-heads has been pretty fatal to my interest, not being a programmer...

Actually, most of the real programmers I know couldn't relate to max at
all, and hated it. Most of the musicians had no trouble. The graphical
approach seems to require a different sort of conceptualization of things
than writing C code, and better appeals to creative types in my experience.
Don't let the nerdy types fool you....

>I know, all you programmer types think that anyone can get going with
>just a
>little effort, but I've already wasted WAY too much time trying to get
>anything but garbage and tech support frequent flyer miles out of WAY too
>many expensive software packages that just weren't plug-and-play enough
>for
>my math-free liberal arts background.
>And staring at a computer screen just isn't my idea of making music, much
>as
>I love the possibilities, and have been seduced by them (I even dig
>manuals,
>go figure!). I've got two Macs, a slew of arcane and expensive MIDI
>programs
>and Digidesign stuff, and am finally realizing that I'm just a hardware,
>dedicated-box, real-time, stomp-on-it kinda guy.....
>Thanks for the tip, tho!
>dpc

I would say, just try it. I find max to be perfect for the more real time
stuff. I can quickly make it do exactly what I want, rather than spending
time trying to dicipher a poorly documented function in some other device
to force it to my needs. And I can put big ol sliders and knobs on the
screen to control things the way I want to, and activate them with the
mouse or some other external controller. I don't use it much, but it's real
handy when I need it.

kim