RE: Wavedrum

I've used both though I only own a Wavedrum.
The Handsonic is basically a number of trigger pads, (10 or 15) that fire samples that are pre-recorded into it. There are some gorgeous ethnic sounds in there.
The Wavedrum has one standard drum head rather than the rubber pads of the Handsonic and it also detects when youre hitting the rim. It has pickups built into it that take the vibrations of the skin./rim and process tham using physical modelling. This means that every time you strike it, it sounds subtly different. It is capable of fine nuances of tonal colour and feels like a real drum, (even the tension and material of the skin has an effect on the sound). It also has an incredible dynamic range. Many people use a compressor to tame its output somewhat. It's not capable of reproducing such a broad range of sounds as the Handsonic but each sound is infinately more alive and real.
It's also capable of creating percussive sounds that don't have a real world equivalent.
That's about the extent of my knowledge of these 2 drums.

> Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 00:52:31 +0200
> Subject: Re: Wavedrum
> From: moinsound@googlemail.com
> To: loopers-delight@loopers-delight.com
>
> > There is a new video on the Wavedrum (have you guys seen/posted it yet?):
>
> I'm not a drummer, so this comment is more from the purchasing
> department view, but...
>
> This seems to be targeted at a market firmly held for some time by
> Roland's Handsonic, but at a price which is cheaper than even the
> smaller Handsonic model. Could anyone with some knowhow in this area
> explain what those two (Wavedrum, Handsonic) have in common - and how
> they compare?
>
> Rainer

Beyond Hotmail - see what else you can do with Windows Live. Find out more.