Re: Samples and looping

I figured someone would address Louigi's remarks a little more strongly,
so I though I'd make an attempt.

I'm really glad to see Milo's post because it is a well reasoned
rebuttal to some serious flaws I see in the position Louigi takes.  I am
disturbed that there are people that truly feel that they are entitled
to use someone else's art for commercial gain without compensating it's
author.  It is IMO a colossal rationalization for theft of intellectual
property.

I had never seen the tenets of this view laid out before - that art is
information, and that because society benefits even from art that
'builds on' the work of others, it should not be subject to the most
basic rules of commerce.

The digital age has made the theft of intellectual property ridiculously
easy.  Behemoths like Microsoft, Sony, et al and the government that
support their business models are desperately trying to shore up their
leaking revenue streams.  But I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone
suggest that an author is not somehow entitled to control the sale of
works they produce, or more specifically, to give away their work while
reserving certain rights.

Many musicians have recognized that the traditional music business model
doesn't work for them. So they're experimenting with making downloadable
versions of  their music available for free.  This might even mean that
the work is free for use by others in their own commercial ventures.
But I'm not sure that I've ever seen someone suggest that the author
shouldn't be able to give away their work with certain restrictions on
its use - restrictions that may be clearly stated and acknowledged when
the consumer downloads it, in an easily implemented Creative Commons
license.

Anyway, perhaps it just reflects a cultural shift away from the view I
grew up with: that art and music have integral value; that they're
important somehow.  I think artists are the eyes and even the conscience
of a society, and have the same right to restrict the use of their
art/work as any entrepreneur.  They just may not be able to enforce
those rights in a society that condones theft and exploitation.

Dan Ash
White Plains, NY