Re: Samples and looping

Louigi Verona schrieb:
> So it does not mean that artists shouldn't be payed - they should. But
> there is no need to give them a fortune at
> the expense of everybody's freedom. Providing them a living is quite
> enough - and that does not require to pay or
> even ask permission each time one of the 5 billion people of our planet
> decides to use a piece of their work.

If you are in a situation as artist where you hardly or not at all make
a living, and someone else is making a fortune with your music this
doesn't sound like a viable solution...

In your statement your assumption is that an artist is making a fortune.
which is only true for a infinite small amount of artists. Unfortunately
the associations which are in charge of protecting the rights of artists
almost solely protect those which make a fortune, its all about money
its nothing about art and their creators...

> I would say that as a decision one should credit the author if possible
> - if the work is commercial you should credit the
> author if you know who the author is. That would provide him with enough
> attention and that attention would be quite enough, I believe.

As artist I can decide to do so (see creative commons) but this is up to
the artist.
I could imagine to legally free art from its protection according to its
public success and visibility. There are pieces of music which become an
integral part of a culture like the "happy birthday" song (not free
yet). The obligation to ask and pay for such a thing is absurd,
especially as its popularity is not related to its internal quality.

But I have no idea at all how to establish something like that. I'd also
shorten the time the copyright is valid radically. And I would give the
owners of inherited rights much less control over the whole process than
the original creators. Within the Gema, the original composers are a
minority, as the publishers and those who speak for already dead
composers have more votes by design...

Stefan

--
Les Ondes Mémorielles---------x--