Packing a laptop setup (with trombone) into bags

Hi everyone,

sometime ago (more specifically in February) I asked for a bag for a
Behringer FCB1010 plus BCR2000 to complete the bag/case solution for
my current live rig. Now, as time has passed (and I had to take looks
at different bags), all is ready and completed, and I'd like you to
know about it.

Read on for a capturing tale of requirments engineering, package
partitioning and how this author was able to beat the prestigious Rick
Walker International Live Looping Festival Challenge in record time!

1. THE REQUIREMENTS:
===================
The setup is essentially what people were seeing on the trombone solo
gigs on my MoinSound 2008 World Tour (basically, the BEMF main
festival and Pasing). The setup is centered around the noise sources
of trombone and vocals and a laptop (Dell D620) is used for
processing.
As for the MMI, a Behringer BCR2000 faderbox and the well-known (and
-hated) FCB1010 are used.
There are, as of now, the following rack-mount components: a TC
Electronic Konnekt24D audio interface, an AKG WMS 40 two-channel
wireless receiver (together with fitting bodypacks and microphones for
vocals and trombone) and a LD Systems MEI100 wireless
in-ear-monitoring system (together with a pair of Sony in-ears). This
is complemented by a Zoom H2 (for recording).
Of course, there's also a trombone - a Bach Stradivarius B42 together
with a stand.

My requirements:
   * the system should be wired as completely as possible when packed.
   * setup (and breakdown) time should be minimized.
   * portability so I can carry the entire thing in one trip. Means
also: lightweight.
          ("portability" also means "to be carried" - i.e. if going up
a flight of stairs)
   * the system should work with both 110 and 230V power supply.
   * being able to withstand airplane baggage handling is not a
requirement. It's meant for those cases where I drive e.g. in my car
or on a train and am able to handle the stuff myself, thank you.

2. PARTITIONING:
=============
It's obvious that you won't fit everything into one bag, so some
partitioning was in order.
First of all, putting the trombone in a bag of its own makes sense
obviously, so I can also take it to an unelectronic gig. I obtained a
Protec C239:
http://www.protecmusic.com/items.aspx?ProductID=60&InstrumentID=37&InstrumentGroupID=1&CategoryID=3&subCategoryID=1

It's solidly padded, also for the slide compartment, and has another
long pocket on the other side of the compartment for the bell, which
not only holds the mouthpiece, shoulder strap, cream etc., but also
the trombone stand. I also got the accessory shoulder strap so I can
carry the thing on my back.
It shows that it works well to keep the bodypack/microphone attached
when packing the trombone. For that, I fitted the bodypack into a
small pouch, attached that to the pipes of the instrument and with
that, everything's set.

The computer and rackmount components are of course best held in one
of those cases specifically made for this. There are those which are
for the real rough handling - but come with the downside of not being
optimized for carrying (e.g. with a shoulder strap), as this one:
http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=426&o=&offset=1&c=102&s=78#
However, with a rack depth of 9.5'', this is rather shallow. Too much?
In my case, yes: the Konnekt24D is 9'' deep - add to that cables and
it becomes a no-go.

What I finally selected was this:
http://www.gatorcases.com/productsmodeldetail.aspx?LID=25&PID=26&MID=384
Not as sturdy as the SKB item, however with a aluminum-made rack
frame, it seems sturdy enough (unless put on a plane - this is true
especially for the laptop pocket, which is merely padded).
Note that when installing, I found that my hestitation towards the
SKB's depth was not without reason: including power strip, PSUs and
cables, this rack is completely filled. There is a hole in between the
rack and the laptop compartment - important to fulfill my "all cables
have to be in place" requirement.

With that, the leftover components are: two bodypacks (one with
headphones, one with headset mike), the Zoom H2, the BCR2000 and the
FCB1010 - all of which I liked to have in one bag. In the emails here,
Fabio recommended a Warwick Rockbag to me (thanks, Fabio!), and
although the item he uses didn't work for me, another one did: a DJ
bag:
http://www.warwick-distribution.de/?katID=19088&cl=EN&did=1
(note to self: why is it that we end up using products made for DJs
all of a sudden? Just the other day, I talked to Per about a MIDI
faderbox, and he told me about his faderfox, which one store carried
in the DJ department as well).
Normally meant to hold two CD players and a  DJ mixer, it works
equally well in its new role.

3. PUTTING IT TOGETHER:
====================
Surprisingly, it worked right from the start. As mentioned, the
laptop/rack case is totally cramped, but otherwise works fine. Note
that there's a power distribution strip sitting in this case, not only
feeding the wireless units, interface and laptop (the PSUs for the
wireless units have already been replaced by SPS to be able to handle
110V as well), but also holding the power strips going to the BCR2000
and FCB1010. For this reason, they are tied together with the MIDI/USB
cables respectively. And of course, cables are tied together, in case
of those which need to be extended by refastening velcro ones.

4. A FIRST PERFORMANCE TEST:
==========================
For a first performance test known to many here as being hard to
fulfil, I chose the Rick Walker International Live Looping Festival
Challenge: You come onto a stage where you find two cables leading to
the board, one power socket and a table. You need to be ready in 30
minutes. Everything over that will eat into your allowed performance
time.
In a first attempt (not practised or rehearsed), I came out at 9:02.
Yes, that's right! I did it more than 20 minutes under the target.
Now, can this be improved?

Of course, there's the option to practice a little and perhaps bring
it down to a little over eight minutes. However, another question
would be if (and how) the process can be put in parallel. The quick
answer: yes, it can. You're albe to have one (instructed) person boot
the computer, set up computer (yes, in that order), faderbox and
pedalboard and make the connections to the mains, while the performer
sets up the trombone and gets his bodypacks ready. By doing so, it's
possible to get into the region of 5 minutes for this challenge.
What's more, the bodypack attachment/trombone setup tasks can easily
be done backstage in advance, so this works even if you're all by
yourself.

5. SUMMARY AND OPEN TASKS:
Did it work? As far as I can tell: yes, absolutely! I'm really happy
with this solution which really allows for super-fast and hassle-free
setup and breakdown. Add to that the fun I gained from using wireless
components, and you know I'm a happy little looper.
There's not much remaining: choosing which additional parts to bring
along. A batch of spare batteries would be nice, and as we're talking
about it, it seems that also my video camera (with stand) would still
fit in the bag.

          Rainer