Re: special sauce, secret goo

Richard: I was also lucky enough to see Hendrix with Soft Machine and Eric Burdon and the Animals at the Anaheim Convention Center.  Amazing, but it suffered from the old school sound in a cavernous venue, but I was absolutely mesmerized by Soft Machine and became an instant fan.  Wish I could have seen it all in a smaller venue.

I've been known as a real fuzz guy and have a handful of faves. The right Big Muff really walks somewhere between od and fuzz and gets unruly, works really well with a wah, and does weird sub octave shifts sometimes.

I absolutely LOVE my Prescription Experience as a straight fuzz; it's an early one. It seems to have more bottom than the Fulltone, and gets great sub-octave weirdness as well as an interesting high octave spike (in normal, not octave mode) that keeps me coming back. Octave mode is used infrequently, but I use the octave/swell mode for ringmod and noise type events. I tend to use very light od in front of it, and run the tone on the PExp bassier, and it is super fat and grunty, especially with wah.

I had a Lovetone Big Cheese that I sorely miss. No fuzz collection is complete without a Z Vex Fuzz Factory or Probe. I have the Probe, but have owned the FF as well. I use it almost exclusively as a stunt fuzz and it goes in front of everything, even the wah and I usually tame it by using od post wah and Vexer.  I like the Boss DS1 and DS2 for plain old lyrical fat playing.

But . . . I actually use more od than listeners might think. There are several in my GT-5; I like the Natural and the Blues the most (I also have a BD2); I don't currently have anything exotic around that's new and greasy, and I'm starting to long for a new favorite. Maybe that Zen Drive is what I'm after. I really like the Crowther Hot Cake and wish I still had one.

I also happen to have a 6v6 Alamo with 2 x 10's that needs some love and it's a great sounding amp. I'm getting a little budget together to have it repaired; cut down the cabinet and replace the speakers with something cool, and use a few pedals to spice things up. Can't wait for that . . .

Love the greasy talk. Remember though: Don't hide behind those pedals and forget yer good technique! Be proud! Be loud! -m