Re: upgrading my MacBook

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 12:36 PM, doc rossi <docittern@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Marcus - I never thought to check Wikipedia for Mac info.
> I'll repeat a couple of previous questions in case anyone here knows - is
> 5400 RPM fast enough for audio recording without dropouts, and why
>doesn't
> Apple recommend 7200RPM for MacBooks? I have tried asking Apple, but it
>is
> very difficult to get an answer on a question like this - or at least I
> haven't been able to find one.
> Thank you.

Impossible to answer such a question, since you are not telling us how
many channels you intend to record at the same time? 5400 RPM drives
use to be fine for ten to twenty channels, at least when using Logic.
For live looping you are only using two stereo channels at a time -
one for inputting your live playing and one for playing back the
output (loops plus live playing), so I'd say that the margins are
pretty generous.

Usually people recommend 7200RPM drives because they not only record
more channels at a time but also makes the system and applications
feel more snappy in use. But I must say that I personally appreciate
5400RPM drives because they don't make so much noise. The noise
doesn't come directly form the drive though but from the fans needed
to cool it off. Laptop heating issues also has to do with the CPU and
maybe other things as well. My Centrino PC laptop roars like a
fighting cat all the time while my MacBook just hums. This is
something I didn't know about before finding out by my own experience,
because usually people don't care (if they are not musicians). I'd
definitely try to look into the noise issue before buying any
computer, not only laptops. Check at fora or hardware test sites. Or
go to a computer store and boot up a machine and listen to it when put
under pressure (opening huge pictures or playing back video etc)

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)