Re: Loop software with varispeed (sounding example clips)

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 9:19 PM, mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com>
wrote:

> But this makes me think, isnt all this "Rate shift is cooler than Time
> Stretch" talk a bit nonsensical..

YOu think to much.  ;-)

> Im interested to hear you use this Per...

For a sounding example clip of this, listen to the song "Shine" at
http://www.stockholm-athens.com/
(live rate shifting a loop that is constantly overdubbing with
feedback set somewhere around 75 percent)

Or this direct access clip:
http://www.looproom.com/audio/Nostril_Waltz_excerpt.mp3
Improvising "chord change vamps" on the looper while playing melody
line over it.

Or this direct access clip:
http://www.looproom.com/audio/Sledge_On_Ice_In_Mist_excerpt.mp3
Improvising "chord change vamps" on the looper while using the lead
melody line played through a 8th note tremolo to emphasize the
original four-on-the-floor beat (since rate shifting fucks shit up)

> Im certain you can use octave and maybe 5ths, but isnt ANY other rate
>gonna
> RYTHYMICALLY crash with the beat/pulse of your music.

Yes, and that's the point!  Crashes are nice if you play over them.  I
take it you are hinting at poly rhythm when typing "RYTHYMICALLY
crash" ;-)

> But isnt Repeater style TIME STRETCH
> more musically usefull?

Only if you don't explore the poly rhythms that may occur when rate
shifting a loop. I remember when I was using a Repeater I initially
liked it that it always played the same thing but at different
pitches. My first flirt with varispeed was the HalfSpeed of the EDP.
But then I started fiddling with Augustus Loop together with the EDP
and I found that Augustus varispeed opened up not only for all kinds
of pitch changes but also for interesting rhythms. Then Mobius came
around with varispeed and SooperLooper got it too. In the hardware
world I've been enjoying varispeed looping since around -82 with
various analog delays and Roland Chorus Delay (tape). Buy you get to a
new level of musical control when you start learning those rhythmic
crashes, because when in software you can set it up for a pure third,
fifth or whatever and incorporate what that sounds like into your
imagination for impro (or for composing if you are so inclined)

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)