Instant Composition

> Per wrote:
>
> The most simple form of improvisation is to simply react on sound by
> making sound, that causes a reaction, that you then react on by making
> another sound etc etc. This may cerate interesting music both from the
> interplay between human musicians and the interplay between musicians
> and looping devices. It's a developing spiral of questions and
> answers. It's a bouncing fun game.

This is exactly why I like the term instant composition. When I hear
good improvisation - even completely free improvisation - I feel an
underlying sense of organization in time. The use of form, repetition,
counterpoint - all of these are things I like to hear in
improvisation. I find simple reaction improv based on a simple form of
listening to be less satisfying. Obviously looping creates form by its
very nature - but I think all improv can be aware of form and gain
much in musical richness if it takes advantage of compositional
techniques. I think all of the masters of improv are fully aware of
this - but there is another level of improvisors that use energy and
creativity in great ways but could benefit from some compositional
thinking.

So to add to the thread about practicing - I would recommend
practicing thinking about composition. How is this improvisation
structured in time. Theme and variations, ABA form, even verse, verse
chorus as loosely implied by the music in your mind. Also when playing
with others - or while looping - yourself. Think about counterpoint,
contrast, expectation and delaying expectation. Listen to some Bach -
read a classic theory book and see how you can subvert or use the old
forms to create new music.

If you listen to Kurt Schwitters' Ursonate
(http://www.ubu.com/sound/ursonate.html
) - I love Jaap Blonk's version - you get a sense just how powerful
form is. Also interesting to think that this was done in 1932 in terms
of the experimental music thread. In fact I would call this an
experiment in the power of form.

All the best,

Stefan

www.kenaxis.com