Re: OT: Zoom H4 bass response

> hmm, was the H4 on a stand,
> or just flat on the table top?
> I'm thinking about the effect of having a mic close to a flat surface,
> causing an
> increased bass response.
> I'd would have thought that if the table itself was resonating you'd
> hear just a rattle at one note.
> However, proximity to a flat surface can certainlyl introduce a bass
> hump to the recording.  Try standing right next to the wall in a
> rehearsal room and notice how woofy everything gets compared to three
> feet into the room.

this makes good sense. the h4 was not on a stand but just lying on the
table. the table itself  would have a specific resonating frequency. so
it would be more likely the h4's close proximity to a flat surface.
thanks for ALL the responses.very helpful.
as far as volume goes, when the music is rowdy and exciting, i would
lean toward the turnitup camp. some of the best shows i've been to have
also been the loudest. that said, clarity is a must and i like to keep
it below the pain threshold. i have no toleration for high frequencies
at high volumes. i remember a jam where i retreated to the bathroom to
play along cuz the cymbal hits were cutting my head in half. and i used
to think that i could handle any bass volume until one day i went for a
cruise with a buddy and he cranked his sub. wow! do people just ignore
the pain because it's hip to go thumping down the strip? yeesh...

cheers,
shayne