Re: OT: Zoom H4 bass response

On Nov 11, 2008, at 6:29 PM, Shayne Cafferata wrote:

>> I'd would have thought that if the table itself was resonating
>> you'd hear just a rattle at one note.
>> However, proximity to a flat surface can certainlyl introduce a
>> bass hump to the recording.  Try standing right next to the wall
>> in a rehearsal room and notice how woofy everything gets compared
>> to three feet into the room.
>
> this makes good sense. the h4 was not on a stand but just lying on
> the table. the table itself  would have a specific resonating
> frequency. so it would be more likely the h4's close proximity to a
> flat surface.

The table does resonate and also acts like an amplifier. There is
also a resonation between the microphones and the flat hard surface.
The reflected sound adds to the direct sound which produces an
amplified response especially of the strongest tones.

BobC

http://tinyurl.com/yt8f8j   Fickr set

http://www.youtube.com/tynego