Why Hardware?

I guess it's no longer works/doesn't work, it's more a matter of performance orientation and cost... There's no way I could run any looping software on my macbook without it crapping out - way too much going on on it anyway, I wouldn't even have the hard-disc space for it. To get it reliable enough, I'd need a dedicated looping rig laptop, pimped out and spec'd up, and even then, I've not found anyone with a laptop fast/powerful enough to run a Lexicon 60 second reverb and up to 8 channels of stereo loopage along with all the other stuffs, at low enough latency for me not to feel it.

So I'd have to carry an extra laptop, and pedals, and a soundcard, and possibly still run outboard effects.

I just can't see the advantage for the way that I want to run things between that and carrying a looperlative and Lexicon MPX-G2.

I've heard people play amazing music with laptop set-ups, and with broken pedals. Music is Meta. :)

Now, when someone finally brings out a Symbian or Android looper, I might tempted to bypass the laptop generation and just go mobile ;)

Steve

Where to find me on the web -
*** www.stevelawson.net - shiny new site
*** www.stevelawson.net/blog - blog