What to do with 5

.I am the artist Synchrony  I now have five Echoplex systems working together. One is the master it controls the other four with midi out to midi in-out-in so on That works fine. But the other day they started acting strange could not control them at times Intermittently I use the master or #1 to control all them but I had hooked up pedals to all of them. I unplugged the pedals from #2-3 & 4 and things seam to be fine. However I liked being able to control the other units now & then For example my key board is in #2 when I punch in record from pedal #2 #3 & 4 become the slave's and follow the #2 keyboard. Or if I punch #3 pedal witch I have my Bass into then #4 becomes the slave. I am telling you this because keeping pedals on all the Echoplex unites did work for a wile and I find it best for having better control. Are they designed to do it? or do I have to only use only one pedal for all five when they are in a midi daisy chain. If so why did the work at all with all 5 pedals for a while?  Please if anyone knows what to do let me know.   Joe T www.synchrony1com