What's the best vocal looper to buy for live looping

Hello everyone, I have just joined the email list, but I'm really
exciting about using a looper in live performance.  I remember seeing
Phil Keaggy (a guitarist) using one like, 20 years ago, and I was
blown away.

This list is awesome!  It's going to help me realize a life-long dream
I've had to "be the band."  I am a professionally trained and seasoned
male vocalist, with a college degree in music, interested in getting a
looper that works especially well for exclusively vocal purposes.  I
have a four-octave range vocally, can sing all parts except low bass
and first soprano (which would be freakish).

So, I want to be able, in live performance, to lay down loops and
layer them until I have a full vocal band accompaniment (including
vocal percussion, although I may consider using a drum machine or drum
looops).

I want to know what is the best looper for me to buy to do this if
money were no object.  Then, I want to know the best looper I can get
to do this for $500.  These are two different questions, I know.

I am looking at the Boss RC-50 primarily, but I want to know what
people are using to do this sort of vocal looping.  What are the
strengths and weaknesses of different loopers for this purpose?

I also have a four-voice jazz group that I would like to use loops
with in live performance, once I have the technique down as a soloist.
  So, please bear that in mind as you help me figure out what
equipment I might need.

If this kind of thing has been discussed already, please direct me to
where i can find it in the archives, or to other sources on the
internet that I can consult.  Thanks for your help, and "loop on" and
all that.

Michael C. and the SacTones