Fighting (electric) guitar pickup feedback

Per,

 part of the problem is perhaps that the pickups are not potted correctly or have lost their potting, and on vintage style pu's that is done with hot wax, which is a messy job but there is info on the web on how to do it, I believe a mixture of paraffin and bees wax is suggested. The other problem is the tele plate itself, which for most bridges of this type they don't screw into the wood on the leading edges of the bridge,only under the saddles, and have a tendency to vibrate sympathetically at higher volumes. One remedy for this is to remove the bridge and put a piece of wax paper cut to the bridge’s size under the bridge and re-installing it with the thin layer of wax paper between the wood and the bridge. A more drastic measure would be to cut the bridge in half so the pick up could be mounted directly to the body like I did with my thineline tele or this new G.E. Smith Tele from fender. http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0118202867, that gives better coupling sustain to the body and a more woody  sound. Also there are bridges available from Allparts like the joe barden designed bridge that anchor at both ends  Bill