Re: OT Need advice: Compact Flash Cards for Audio storage

Rick Walker wrote:
> Is there a huge difference between these?
> Are there things to be worried about in buying CF cards?
> Things to avoid?
> Do you all think it would be better to buy a couple of 2 gig cards
> instead of
> one 4 gig card?
Hi Rick,

I cannot speak to the two CFCs you mentioned.  I have the original
version of the Microtrack.  I put in an 8G (120x) card from A Data.  I
paid $69.99 for it last May from New Egg so you may find better prices
by now.  There were small problems until I updated the OS to V1.4.6.
Flawless operation ever since.  At 24bit/44.1kHz, I can get over eight
hours recording time.  However, file size is limited to 2G, iirc so each
file is about two hours.  That ought to be plenty of time for any set.
Be sure to get a memory that's fast enough as specified in the manual.
Faster memory yields fater transfers from memory to computer, too, not
just performance during recording.  Why get a bunch of little cards that
you can lose?  I have one 8G that always stays in the recorder and I
never have to worry about losing it or running out of space.  The only
concern is that I suspect that it eats battery power faster than smaller
memories.  But since I always power off of the little adapter or the
closest USB port, that really isn't much of a concern.

Cheers,

Bill