Re: about NAMM, Ted's powered speakers ?

>  I got a chance to check out powered speakers somewhat and  I don’t think the Mackie SRM150’s that you were inquiring about would be adequate for you, Ted.

Agreed, given what I know of the low end and rumble that Ted can produce, similar to me. If I were Ted, I would go with a 12 inch powered speaker, not a 10 inch.

> I’d check out the RCF speakers that are the same size as the SRM350’s, but have better low frequency response and are lighter weight. The SRM150’s seam like great monitors for a singer song writer , but not much more. The RCF’s are made in italy  by the same manufacturer who built mackies stuff before mackie moved to China. They are a bit more expensive but worth it I believe

Ted and I have been exchanging emails on this. I compared the specs between the RCF, Mackie, and JBL powered 10 inch speakers. You are right, the RCF do claim to reach a lower frequency in their frequency range, 50Hz - 20KHz (though they incorrectly label that spec as a frequency response, without a plus or minus figure...not sure what they are trying to pull there, but is is misleading and suspicious).  The JBL range is 65 Hz - 18 kHz. And Mackie's is 61 Hz - 22 kHz), going higher than RCF...so one speaker may suite different needs....though spicing hairs a bit.

The see that the total wattage (low plus high) of the RCFs  are much higher than JBL and Mackie. That may generate the feel of more power and punch, but no necessarily quality of the frequency response. And of course, thd cross-over frequency for each speaker is different, so that has to be factored into the the performers's personal needs and taste.   RCF is 350 w total, 300w low frequency and 50w high frequency. Mackie is 195w total, 165 low and 30w high. JBL is 175 total, 125w low and 50w high.

I guess considering wattage and frequency range, plus weight, the RCF look like the best bet for a 10" cab. This all may change when we get into the 12" cabs.

One interesting spec is the cross-over frequencies for each, Mackie (2.4Khz), JBL (2.7 kHz), and RCF (1.8 kHz). But I guess this makes sense, given how much wattage RCF has allocated to their low end driver.

I have never had a chance to hear a A/B/C, blind comparison of the three speakers, withing knowing which manufacture I was hearing at any time. That would be the ultimate test for me. Several years ago, I did this with my small home stereo system...I listed to 5-6 different small home stereo speakers, not knowing the manufacturer, but going with my personal taste. The most expensive speakers didn't sound the best to me, and so-called superior specs (bettter frequency ranges, etc), didn't make a difference either. It is all so subjective. (reminds me of some blind wine tasting contests in Seattle several years ago, where a $8 bottle of wine continuously beat very expensive wines in a blind test).  Brand is powerful, as is a priori pre-conceptions.

Ted - have you done such a test? I highly recommend it. I would have someone set it up so that you can't tell which manufactuers are producing your sound. I would be VERY interested in the results.

Kris