Max/MSP (Re: Live Looping Interface)

On Jan 21, 2008 8:10 AM, Stefan Tiedje <Stefan-Tiedje@addcom.de> wrote:

> There is a third party AU external available, not as versatile than the
> vst~ external, but seems to work, and you can create Pluggos which run
> as AU.

Thank you, Stefan, but that is exactly why I'm not buying Max/MSP; a
third party extension is needed. When hearing developers talking about
the AU protocol it just seems to be a good system and something you'd
better support from the ground and up. I'm just too sick with VST
after having spent too many hours trying out different plug-ins of the
same functionality to find those which are stable to use with a
particular host. It seems the Max concept as a whole also needs
"workarounds" when dealing with tempo related processes - which is the
very nature of looping and also the way I look at music (ie measuring
"time" as related to a given tempo instead of absolute values as
milliseconds).

I don't think Max is bad or anything, but my interested is not in
programming per se, only in getting some specific software tools to
make music with. As for my recent needs Plogue Bidule is faster for me
for setting up certain patches I need. I used to think that I may buy
Max/MSP to create a looper, as I want it, but this doesn't seem to be
needed either today, thanks to the direction Loogelloop is taking.
Maybe in the future, if Loogelloop gets its act together, I might buy
Max for the direct purpose of creating plug-in extensions to that
looper. Meanwhile I'll keep monitoring the progress with Max 5.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)