Re: Tapping -- What are the tricks to staying synched to your rhythm section

Sure man no problem I think I can help you at least a little bit here.  In
all my experiences it
is imperative to find a open minded drummer!  I have found once they kick
the EGO side of
themselves for the most part things run a lot smoother.  I have a
Boomerang and I just love it to
death.  I have had it modded with some secrets and have rebuilt/reinforced
the pedals and triggers
to be instantaneous and now its a blast and a half to play with live
drummers!  I am just getting
used to the midi controlled side of things via ableton live and have a lot
of learning to do
there.  My drummer Wade Heilig in Eagle Dawn is quite open minded thank
God in the heavenlies
because he has to be.  My music is completely spontaneous and I welcome
the mistakes because more
often than not they turn into the best ideas to work from!  Keep an open
mind and keep practicing,
it really helps to tap out a time signature and step on the record on the
time or off the time
like I do with split timing stuff.  I actually still have a lot of
learning to do and look forward
to that fact.  After all if it was not for mistakes we would have no idea
of what is right and
what is wrong and those perceptions are different for most everybody good
and bad included. Now
there are many more expensive options with quantize but that really kills
the spontaneousness for
me but thats me and you are you so be who you are with your all in flying
colors :D
www.myspace.com/albertiniguitarworks
www.myspace.com/wwwmyspacecomeagledawn
www.myspace.com/albertiniprojects
more independent film projects on the way as well...
"I do not pretend to know the future, I just do sometimes"
--- Tom Pierce <lavaspin@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm a new person to this forum. (I did a search
> through the L-Delight site and found a little info but
> nothing too deatiled. Maybe someone can point me to
> the right place.)
>
> I've been using a digitech Jamman for about a year but
> only privately. I'd like to start using it live but
> can't seem to figure out how to stay synched when I
> practice with a drum machine. (I don't even want to
> try it out in band practice until I figure out how to
> work out this issue.) No matter how "on" I am with my
> tapping to initiate the loop, the looped phrase
> ultimately starts to sound off beat after some time
> compared to the drum machine beat.
>
> So, what's the trick: In live settings do you just get
> the drummer to follow the loop? Or do I just have bad
> timing and need to continue to practice my tap ins and
> outs?
>
> Finally, I don't see much praise for the digitech. Am
> I using the wrong looper for a live situation? (I just
> discovered Kristian Dunn of El Ten Eleven and love
> what he's doing with a looper(s). It seems like he
> might have to use two in order to do
> verse/chorus/bridge-type songs. Or is that done in a
> different way?)
>
> So, this is actually a couple questions and I would
> appreciate any help.

> http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Be a better friend, newshound, and