Tapping -- What are the tricks to staying synched to your rhythm section

I'm a new person to this forum. (I did a search
through the L-Delight site and found a little info but
nothing too deatiled. Maybe someone can point me to
the right place.)

I've been using a digitech Jamman for about a year but
only privately. I'd like to start using it live but
can't seem to figure out how to stay synched when I
practice with a drum machine. (I don't even want to
try it out in band practice until I figure out how to
work out this issue.) No matter how "on" I am with my
tapping to initiate the loop, the looped phrase
ultimately starts to sound off beat after some time
compared to the drum machine beat.

So, what's the trick: In live settings do you just get
the drummer to follow the loop? Or do I just have bad
timing and need to continue to practice my tap ins and
outs?

Finally, I don't see much praise for the digitech. Am
I using the wrong looper for a live situation? (I just
discovered Kristian Dunn of El Ten Eleven and love
what he's doing with a looper(s). It seems like he
might have to use two in order to do
verse/chorus/bridge-type songs. Or is that done in a
different way?)

So, this is actually a couple questions and I would
appreciate any help.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs