Re: Powered Subs...on to mastering

> i think commercial mastering is about compression. especially multiband
> compression. i use multiband compression as a dynamic eq for mastering
> rather than compressing to get more db out of the piece.

> i think first insert a high pass filter which will cut below 30hz. then
> the typical waves mastering eq, multiband comp, limiter setting. you
> should be careful about maxbass. i think you should use that plugin
>mostly
> for subbass oriented dance, electronica tracks, it may really destroy a
> proper rock/pop mix.

30hz. Interesting. That is most definitely more appealing to me. I will
give
that a try and see how my stereo systems handle it with my material. If I
can sneak some more low end frequency in and still be home stereo
friendly,
that would be great. Another question on this. When you use a high pass,
do
you set it so that it starts to curve down at 30hz, and then tapers off
somewhere far below? Or do you set it so that by the time it tapers off to
total cut off, it is at 30hz? I would assume the latter, if you truely
want
to prevent anything below 30hz from getting through. This is similar to
what
I did with 60hz, and I used a very step curve with the Q setting. So
basically there is a rapid cut off of 60hz and below, but a steep curve to
let higher frequencies in. I tried both steep and gradual curves and the
steep curve got rid of the low end issues, but also kept my tone full.
Using
a gradual curve just cut more frequencies off above 60hz.

> for waves L2 you should not go below -5 db. after that it starts to
> degrade the signal. ( to my ears )

I'm confused, though. L2 is a compressor/limiter, and also dithers. So do
you use one of the Waves compressor/limitors, and then just set L2 so that
it does not compress again, but only dithers from 2/432 to 16 bit (if your
record at those bit rates)?

> set the multiband compression so that it acts as a dynamic eq. you have
> control the peaks in frequencies and for that it is better to use
> multiband comp than a eq. i use all the 5 bands of the waves multiband.
> you need to experiment with the crossover frequencies of course. you can
> compress 4-5 dbs of the sub bass and bass range. this will give you a
>much
> more punchy and clear presentation of the piece.

What one are you using in Waves? There are so many. Audiotrack? Is is the
only one I see in Waves that has both EQ and compression settings.

Thanks! I like this conversation.

Kris