Re: Powered Subs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Walker"
[snip]

Rick - let's use BEMF as an example. You remember how huge that sounded
last
year, right? We could not have produced that with just the 15" mains that
were next to the stage. We had subs on each side and they were pumping out
the sounds in a major way.  When you have electronic musicians (guys using
max/msp, Reaktor, etc) producing giant, almost movie soundtrack sounds in
the 50-100hz range, two powered 12 inch cabs, or even an inexpensive home
theater sub isn't going to do the trick in my opinion.  What I will buy, I
will use at BEMF this year. I'll have my two 1X12 powered ElectroVoice
SxA100s for mids/highs, but I will definitely need some low end. I'm
afraid
I would blow those speakers with the low end that I heard at last year's
festival. So, the single Mackie powered sub I listed seemed like a good
choice in this case. Sure, I would love to save myself some money and buy
two lower end powered subs for $300 each, but then I am already at $600,
only $250 short of the big daddy Mackie sub which is a nice piece of gear
that will deliver low end for years and years.

Kris