mackie Onyx 1620 vsRME fw800

Hi gang,
if you were to pick between this 2 to record with
bands at home which one would you choose?what would be
the pro s and cons or which preamps sound better?i
currently own the rme800 which is very nice but i am
being offered an onyx for a very cheap price(about
599.-eur.) and i am reconsidering,also with the onyx
having more available XLR inputs sends etc.it would
seem easier to have a band just come in plug their
instruments directly and go at it.My other question
is,because of my room space i would probably have to
run a rather long firewire cable,would this have any
effect on latency?
thnax!
cheers
Luis