RE: Powered subs

Quoting William Walker <billwalker@baymoon.com>:

> So I ask you all who love subs, is
> it a better musically experience for you when you can hear and feel that
> bigger low end? Just curious,  and Happy New Year.
> Bill

When I play in 5.1 I use a pair of SWA1501's.  However, I drive them
from a discreet channel and only use them for that occasional low
note.  I like to think that my music comes across fine without them
however it is nice when I can use them.  Most of the time, then, my
subs sit silent.

I spose I am comfortable with this notion from my pipe-organ playing
experience.  Most pipe organs do not have pipes in the 32' register
and on instruments that have them, one only uses them once in a while.
  However, there is nothing quite like deep bass.

Yes, the subwoofers are pricey (I bought mine used and I lucked out
and got two for the price of one).  Just like a pipe organ, the
largest 12 pipes are the most expensive notes on the instrument!

Single notes or bass drum beats are very effective on the subs but, to
me, a mix of sound thru the subs can become murky.

Happy New Year to one and all!

-- Kevin