RE: Powered subs

I personally don't understand the need for, or attraction to subs, unless
it
is a design like the Bose Linear system that seems to need them, from what
can hear, to sound full. Now I'm coming from the perspective of a
guitarist,
but I personally feel the modern club and concert sound aesthetic places
way
to much emphasis on Subsonics and a bass heavy mix. I've heard way to many
good bands me rendered muddy and indistinct from a rumbling overly loud
bass
mix. For me too much low end can have an adverse effect when playing
acoustic guitars for the obvious reasons. So I ask you all who love subs,
is
it a better musically experience for you when you can hear and feel that
bigger low end? Just curious,  and Happy New Year.
Bill