Re: inexpensive small true mic preamps

I bought a VTB-1 last year after reading a lot of reviews and
auditioning the Art and M-Audio against it - I found both of them to
have a bit of harshness as compared to the VTB, and I decided the VTB
was definitely worth the relatively small additional cost. I've been
extremely pleased with it, especially the features such as a pot for
amount of tube coloration (I find I like it heavy on the tube for
vocals, light for acoustic guitar), hi-pass filter, phase reverse,
instrument input on the front panel, and switchable metering between
input and output. It adds a bit of hiss when heavy on the tube, but has
a good amount of gain which makes up for that and I've never found it to
be a big problem. I'm thinking of buying another.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com