RE: inexpensive small true mic preamps

Rick:
I have not bee very pleased with the ART stuff (altho' a lot of people are...but then I am picky).  The Presonus Tube Pre (which comes in single and dual channel versions) is quite nice and very affordable...but it still doesn't compare with the higher class (and costs) tube pres. Nonetheless, it is quite a bargain at around $100 (mono).

I cannot remember the model of the Summit piece....but it was quite nice in a 1/2 rack size.  True tube...very well made and sounded superb, but was up around $400 (IIRC).

If your budget extends, then the UA solo 610 would be a VERY nice addition.  It is a very nice tube mic pre DI which is quite portable.
But, in that same price range, I might throw out a suggestion of a VERY nice SS pre:Chameleon Labs 7602 which is a Neve clone...and a very good clone (almost exact..but for several thousand $ less).

Max

Your smile counts. The more smiles you share, the more we donate. Join in!