Bozzio

 I saw Terry Bozzio at BumberShoot festival in Seattle-(maybe the best music festival in the world,  4 days of music dozens of stages,every kind of music ,and cheap.Highly reccomended)
  He played a set at Bumberdrum ,the all percussion part of the fest. He had the massive kit as described,fairly early in it's existence. I thought the cymbal/gong array was very cool. The first ten minutes were mindblowing. pyrotechnical virtuosity,a huge range of textures and colors,and dynamics. By 15 minutes it was getting predictable. He was sort of seesawing back and forth between bombastically heavy  chromatic roll action on all those low toms and  precious prettiness with the high cymbals. He even had two differnt facial expressions that accompanied this morph.After about 4 times up and down he seemed to have blown his conceptional wad,and just repeated it all for another 40 minutes.Most of the audeince seemed to be young male drummers staring with some variation of the thought 'wish I could do that' furrowing their brows as their girlfriends stared off into space in every direction but towards the stage. I play melodic percussion ,and hand drums,not traps.I was with my brother who was studying jazz drumset at Cornish Institute under Julian Priester. When I said if it's drum music and the women aren't dancing,and are bored,something's missing he  got annoyed ,though later conceded the point. See it's possible to play in time but not be in the groove.
  Sounds like his melodic concept has matured since then,it was 10 years ago. He can probably sustain interest longer.At the time I thought,'another one of these guys with monster chops he needs to be under the control of a maestro with a musical vision'.I don't recall experiencing any other music event  that had such a curve from amazement to boredom,but the last 30  of the 50 minutes were  boring.