Re: another survey (wasRe: OT, but getting close to not-OT: guitar/sax improv sessions)

I've always wondered why someone chooses a particular instrument as their "voice" - multitimbral vs mono timbral - and, based on my own experience and conversations with others came to the conclusion (assumption?) that, in a lot of cases, it has to do with how you hear things/ organize sounds, in your head.  When you think of a melody are you hearing single notes flowing one after the other, multiple voices running parallel, or more texturally (ie: notes stacked on top of each other)?  When you pick up your instrument do you gravitate towards single note lines or a more chordal approach and is this based on preference or the physicality of the instrument?  Another question I should have asked in my original post was:  How many people have switched instruments to meet their needs.