Re: another survey (wasRe: OT, but getting close to not-OT: guitar/sax improv sessions)

I started on piano then switched to guitar.  David Gilmour and Mark
Knopfler made the prospect of putting up with my very old-school piano
teacher a non-starter.

I wasn't really aware that a thing called a "cello" existed until my
teens.  Had I known when I was seven, I would have asked for lessons
on it instead of the piano.  The vocal quality of it easily trumped
the polyphony of the piano to my ears...once I knew the damn thing
existed.

On the other hand, I fiind the Stick/Warr Guitar/touch-style
instruments are the most chronically under-exploited instrument ever.
A combination of the piano and the electric guitar?  Brilliant!   How
did this instrument not catch on like wildfire?  Yet the results have
been consistently underwhelming for me, except when I saw Jim Lamphee
playing on a London street during lunchtime, which made me really
reconsider changing instrument again.
Angry Stick Players: let's just agree to disagree on this one.

TH