Re: "Anglofixilization" (The Good Side Of USA)

On 29 sep 2007, at 21.49, Chuck Silva wrote:

>  A long time ago our wise Fore Father's had the prudence to see the
> importance of having a single common language to hold our adverse
> country together.

Forgive me for simply cutting out a part of Chuck's post here, but I
just want to jump in on this one because yesterday I happened to
learn a good example of what good comes with the common language for
the US. This was a Swedish radio documentary on scientific research
and the particular issue "Why do all Nobel prices go to USA?". Here
in Europe we have good scientists too but the universities and
private financing of research projects don't bleed over much between
language zones. As a result very bright people can waist time working
on almost similar problems, just because the happen to be in
different countries. While in the US scientists are free to move
between universities all over the continent to form collaborative
teams based on scientific interest. The career path in Europe is
difficult to understand for a young student, while in the US
everything is clearly lined out as the universities share the same
language and similar administration. All this given Europe and USA
are about the same size.

An interesting figure here is that China is coming up strongly,
thanks to low costs. The same research budget in nanotechnology keeps
twenty chinese scientists working on a project while in USA the same
amount of money can only support one scientist for a project. And
almost the same figures seems to apply to development speed; chinese
research and product development is twenty times faster.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)