Re: "Anglofixilization" (Chinese and other cultures)

Possibly the next universal language is to be Chinese,
since China is obviously rapidly rising to be one of the next super
powers,
if not eventually *the* super power, and currently has over 20% of
the world's population.

I seriously doubt that the Chinese gov't will make English mandatory
and it's national language,
but probably will at least require some learning of it as part of the
basic educational curriculum (if not already?)
and mainly for the purposes of business dealings in our ever-
globalizing world.  Seems likely.

The Sleeping Dragon is fully awake now and ready to further stretch
it's muscles....
(Thanx, Wal-Mart! :-) )

Mandarin, or Hakka, or Cantonese, anyone?

Here is a good place to start:
http://www.chinalanguage.com/

Just some thoughts that occurred to me while reading these posts
about English becoming the "universal language" the world,
which personally to me, smacks a bit of the same Anglo / Euro-
ethnocentricity train of thought that has sadly been going on
all over the world for several hundred years now, and often at the
peril of countless numbers of the inhabitants of other countries.
(Sorry anyone, but that's the way it sounds to me. So, sue me. :-) )

I would much rather be more influenced by cultures other than the one
I currently exist in.

Over here in the USA, we have a bunch of delusional and psychotic
xenophobic Right (AKA: wrong) wing control freaks that are DEMANDING
that "their" America be an English ONLY country. They hate even the
very *idea* of ESL and loudly say so. What a bunch of self-superior
dominator culture morons.
(and are mainly Rethuglicans and just love their guns!)

As for Spanish previously mentioned by Luis, I am glad that I know at
least *some* of it (but still learning...) and enough to roughly get
by with in
conversations with Spanish speaking people. "Pidjin Spanish"  really,
but usually enough to make my point,etc.
This originated with me as a kid growing up 150 miles north of the
Mexican border, way out in West Texas. I am at least glad for that
happening.
(I am in Portland,OR, now. Split from Texas YEARS ago.)

Also, for several years now, I have been sending whatever monetary
support that I can afford to a small school for young kids
in a small indigenous town named Chickaloon, Alaska. The main reason
that I like the school is that
it is giving the kids both a "Western" education and also their ( pre-
White / pre-oil industry,etc, intrusions)
traditional education and ways, and also *preserving their
traditional language*, along with giving them other skills, etc.

That did it for me to start to give them some support, and I am just
another lower-income White guy stuck in America. :-)

School info:
http://www.chickaloon.org/Education/YaNeDahAh.html

I also fully agree about music being the REAL universal language, at
least on the plane that transcends the one that regular languages
exist on,
and I have felt that way for YEARS now. (Thanx for bringing that
subject up, Brian. Not "cliche" at all, IMO)

L8r, articul8ors...

-Rev. Fever