Re: fc300

At 9:37 AM +0100 9/24/07, nick@12testing.net wrote:
>Just been flicking through the manual for roland's new pedal, doesn't
>seem very impressive. The midi channel seems to be set globally

Not entirely true.  There are four different modes.  IMNSHO, two are
there mostly for convenience (one which is straight PC, and another
oriented strictly on CC values, if I recall correctly), so I believe
what you've read is correct for those modes.  The third, or "Sysex"
Mode, is focused solely on integrating tightly with the VG-99.
Finally, the meat and potatoes for external control is in the fourth
mode, known as Patch Mode.

As shown on page 35 of the FC-300 manual, Patch Mode can send a MIDI
stream on pedal press on multiple MIDI channels.  There are a variety
of MIDI message types that can be sent: PC, CC, MIDI Note On/Off,
Channel Aftertouch, Key Aftertouch (whaaa...?!?!), Pitchbend, and
even MIDI Machine Control.

Short of sending "true" Sysex commands, the darn thing is almost as
flexible as my PMC-10.  In fact, Patch Mode reminds me a lot of
programming the Digitech pedal -- especially with the separately
programmable Pedal On & Pedal Off streams.  The main things lacking
between the two units are (as I alluded to) the FC-300's inability to
program a Hex Sysex stream, and a couple of the more advanced Latch
modes implemented later in the PMC's lifespan.

>and  the unit is nearly as wide as the FCB1010, being shorter by the width
>of the end exp pedal.

I've got the FCB-1000 also, and that delta in length does actually
make a difference.  I'm able to fit the FC-300 into a relatively
reasonable-sized suitcase, so I can check it with the luggage when
flying (it's pretty sturdy so I'm not concerned that it's going to
get damaged, and besides, what else in there is it gonna do damage to
-- underwear?!?).  The FCB is always a pain to take anywhere, due to
it's longer length.  As always, though, YMMV.

>In addition, changing from preset 5 to 6
>involves 2 presses, since the two banks of 5 share the same pedals.
>Hmmm.

Yeah, that's an architectural thing that I don't know how they
could've gotten around.  And you're going to find the same thing on
any pedal with 10 switches at the border between Patches 10 & 11.
There is another Pedal Step Size setting called 10Step, which MAY
(and a very qualified may) help in your particular situation (page 49
of the manual).  Essentially, every pedal becomes dual function.
Press Pedal 2 once, and you get Patch 2.  Press it a second time and
you get Patch 7.  This then toggles between the two sets of five (of
course, the up and down buttons switch between banks of 10 in this
mode).  The downside is that you may potentially end up with other,
completely different, situations where you're having to do double
presses instead.

>There are inputs for 3 more exp pedals - I wish they had offered the
>pedals as optional upgrades - firstly some people don't use/need them
>and secondly it's useful to position the pedals on the other end of
>the board, or even away from it (eg for a wah pedal at the front of
>the stage).

Not really following you here.  We're talking about 3 extra jacks on
the back.  These can be used for up to 6 external switches (using
FS-5u's or FS-6's), 3 expression pedals (EV-5's), or a combination of
those.  You can always position the pedals anyplace you want, as long
as you get a cord that reaches your final position.  In fact, I use
an FS-6 on one end of the unit, with an FS-5u plugged into the Mode
jack at the other end (just to make certain I don't get the pedals
confused.

Now, I was not very bullish on this unit until I got one in a package
deal with the VG-99, so I started trying to make a go of it.  The
more I use it, the more impressed I'm becoming.  I'm actually
starting to consider it as perhaps a replacement for my PMC-10 (which
is out of production, and ain't getting any younger).  Sure, there
are things the PMC does that outstrip this pedal entirely, but do I
really need those functions all the time?

I've got the FCB as well, and I think the FC does a better job
overall than that pedal.  There are some *really* annoying things
about controlling multiple devices with the FCB, and I don't think
even the Gordius addresses those... yet(!).

In regard to the VG-99, I can't say I could be more pleased.  The
FC-300 integrates flawlessly, even taking power from the VG.  Very,
very useful in collaboration with that unit.

However, one of the problems I will say with the Roland is that the
FC-300 manual is only a step or two above the Behringer's notoriously
unreadable manuals.  The information is there, but you've got to play
hand's on with a unit before anything starts to make much sense.  I
think this is where a lot of the confusion comes in.  I know it's
certainly where I got such a rotten impression of the device before
one landed in my lap.

Anyway, I should have more of a concrete impression soon.  Within the
next 24 hours, I should be beginning the chore of actually
programming my laptop and Looperlative via the FC-300.  I'll either
be back here to confirm that it's a viable device, or you'll hear me
swearing at what a piece of crap it is.  Stay tuned....  ;)

        --m.
--
_____
"I want to keep you alive so there is always the possibility of