From: James Richmond [mailto:yahoogroups@jamesrichmond.com]
Sent: sabato 15 settembre 2007 4.07
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: "Evil Behringer"

On Sep 14, 2007, at 6:41 PM, Per Boysen wrote:

I don't think so. Maybe that's why the FCBs seem to be so well built and solid? My first FCB worked for five years. I'm on my second now.

Greetings from Sweden

Cosmetically it looks similar to the Roland foot controller.
I do not know about the internals.

I was the guy who made the 'evil behringer' comment, so I should probably back it up with some facts.
Behringer make some decent products that were not copied directly from other companies but these are by far in the minority.

It is a pity really because they started out making pretty good stuff.
The early German made compressors were very good, not up to UREI but still pretty good.

Once Uli moved his manufacturing to China it all went to pot.

The CT100 cable tester is an exact rip off of the Swiss Army cable tester.
Compare:

They ripped off Mackie time and time again and were sued for it.
Even when Mackie released the Onyx range... they released the Xenyx range.
Their Vintage Distortion pedal is a direct rip off of a Big Muff- look at the box design, then open them up and compare the electronics.
I could keep going with 90% of the products in their range- and find a product that they ripped off.

They take a good (or in some cases, average) design and build it for 1/5th price, with worse components.
They have an entire city in china dedicated to churning out this crap.
Their Mic Preamps are duller than a box of dirt- esp the 'tube' ones, which have about as much relevence to tube based designs as a monkey playing the banjo does to Jimi Hendrix.

In audio engineer circles whey are regarded as the Microsoft of Pro Audio.

Regards,

Jim Richmond.