RE: Who uses "looping" in their promo material?

Per, I like the "Nu-Jazz" term - I am generally at a total loss to describe
what I do in any meaningful way. I would use "avant-garde", but that's so
old-fashioned! - and also implies "difficult", as in Laurie Anderson's
"Difficult Music Hour" (pull up that straight-backed chair, button up your
collar, and suffer) while I believe a lot of what I do is fairly
accessible.

We all do different things, and the variety of music at Y2Kn is always
impressive. Yet, at the risk of oversimplifying, I would proffer that there
seem to be some common *tendencies*:

- a higher degree of free-form improv than in most other communities,
including jazz
- a focus more on sound textures and effects than in most other "genres",
if
this is a genre
- musical structures that, at least in sections, have characteristics that
loops are especially good at: gradual evolution over a repetitive base.
This
involves the listener (when they do become involved) in a more
"trance-like"
experience than is typical in more... um... frenetic? Rapidly changing? - I
don't know the right way to say it - music.
- a tendency towards polytonality (a creative device somewhat
necessitated/facilitated by the fact that you're trying to create interest
over a background that may be, in a sense, static)

Just an approximation, of course. I look forward to more of this
discussion.

As far as the audience, I don't know if anyone cares. It's hard to get
anyone to come out to music that's not dance or bar band music if you're
not
well-known regardless of what you call it, unless perhaps you have a
brilliant publicist and photos of nearly-naked girls involved. That's one
reason why the festivals are so cool - it makes for a real event instead of
just another performance by another unknown.

Warren