Re: Alternative to a laptop?

I know it's possible to buy rather inexpensive and smaller touch-screens to carry along with.  One of my good colleagues who is committed to 'not touching his computer in performance', and who programs his concerts in Max, simply mounts a little touch screen on his mic stand with a few buttons.

the computer starts up the patch as a startup item and he's good to go, his 15 inch laptop closed and hidden a few feet away... so there's not any difference I can see with doing it with a mini. That gives you some visual feedback, AND a substitute for a keyboard for navigating.

oh, and because he only needs one trigger to go from preset to preset (looping included which he's made automatic), he uses a mouse on the floor, tapping with his foot.  But let's not go TOO far, he's never used a bluetooth wireless mouse for that.  too many resources, too expensive and those little standard mice are ubiquitous and inexpensive...

I'd love to do it all this way, just haven't really taken the time yet, but nice to know I've seen it done...   hope this is a useful contribution.

oh, Michael's music can be heard at http://earspasm.com, though I don't think he has any diagrams or that he talks that much about technology there.  All pieces are written in Max/MSP.

And there is one other guy with whom I have the pleasure of working who uses has packed a mini, touchscreen, faderbox and power into an old style briefcase, and essentially 'plays' that as an instrument in the same way as the above... His name is Jesse Stiles and one piece which we've done together is on my myspace page called uforeligions.

all best,

todd