Re: RME Firewire 800 and Guitar Amp Sim

I am now focusing on how I can get the most natural electric guitar/tube amp sound on my system, BEFORE going into the laptop (so, no tube amp VSTs, etc). I need to do it with the audio interface, or by adding a real tube amp or high end tube amp simulator (hardware

i do this using a tube preamp and an ADA ampulator
have for a long time, like it

i used to have an alembic F-2b tube pre that when put after effects
would bring some amp sound and tube livelyness back

some of the mesa preamps have built in "recording" outs tho
opinions on the sound vary widely

the mesa DC series, some rivera amps and maybe some others have "slave" outs
that tap the sound at the OP transformer for an amp sound

groove tubes built a preamp in the past that pops up used that is basically a hopped up
deluxe in a rack with a line out off the end stage

there are palmer. marshall and a few other devices that take a speaker out and convert
it to line level so you can silently use your fav amp

alot of folks mention the BOSS stuff and like it, i don't but you may, many of their dedictaed gtr units
have this function

lots of digital units by behringer, line 6, pods etc are made just for this
the vox is imo the most "amp" sounding

before my recent dive into laptop i have been going DI for a long time
and trying to limit my gtr sound to one and only one AD conversion
and using a speaker system that would work for piezo's so using a
regular gtr amp hasn't been my thing, there are actually alot of ways to do this
and since i've been happy with my approach for awhile i haven't looked
at what is being put out recently

theres a lot of ways to do this and opinions and tastes vary
get ready to try a whole bunch of stuff