Re: o.t. READING

All of my recent reading comes from three authors: Kurt Vonnegut, Orson Scott Card, and Neil Gaiman.

In chronological order of my reading them:
KV, _Hocus Pocus_ (not his best, but still interesting, funny, and bizarre)
NG, _Fragile Things_ (collection of short stories and poems by one of my favorite contemporary authors)
KV, _Slaughterhouse Five_ (a classic I'd never read and felt was time to visit...wonderful! what was I thinking all those years?!)
NG, _Stardust_ (reread this light novelette in anticipation of the theatrical release...still haven't seen the movie)
OSC, _Ender's Game_ (reread this because I jikust needed to read it again...incredibly compelling, creative, and original)
NG, _American Gods_ (currently re-reading this...great concept, and wonderful execution...answers the question: what happens to the old-world gods when their people cross the ocean and eventually stop believing in them?)

Oh, I almost forgot, I just got three books from Mick Goodrich (aka Mr Goodchord): Vols 1 and 2 of his Almanac of Guitar Voice-Leading and his Factorial Rhythms. The title of the Almanac is misleading--it really is a much more general collection of voice-leading information that would interesting to anyone working with diatonic materials, not just guitarists. In fact, there isn't a single chord grid or fingering indication in the entire book. There's a lot that is fairly obvious if you've worked long enough with tonal materials, but it's one helluva resource tome, and there are certainly some fresh things to learn from it. _Factorial Rhythms_ actually reminds me a lot of a message on rhythm that Rick Walker sent a year or two ago. A very interesting collection of rhythmic resources.

Cheers,
Jon Southwood