Re: Hard Programmer Realities (was: RE: [sooperlooper-users]multiple instances of SL in Live: problems with volume levels)

At 12:11 PM -0500 8/14/07, Jeff Larson wrote:

>It is not uncommon for a senior software developer in California (not
>where I live) to make around $100,000 a year or more.  The
>self-employed do not get health insurance in the US, so that adds
>another $10,000 for a family plan and you lose perks like a 401K, free
>training, conferences, etc.  So let's set the "cost" of an engineer at
>around $125,000 per year.  This is what you're going to have to
>compete with if you hope to lure someone away from their jobs at
>Oracle or Microsoft.
>
>       [snip...!]
>
>Let's be conservative and say it will take 2 man-years to create the
>worlds most amazing looper.  That's $250,000 in engineering costs you
>have to clear before you see "profit".

Oh, that's not a problem.  I'm sure we can knock at least two zeros
off that final estimate.

We'll just outsource to India....

<duckflee!!!!>

        --m.
--
_____
"I want to keep you alive so there is always the possibility of