Re: Sparce 'n Spacey, part 2: fretless guitar

At 3:58 PM +0200 8/14/07, Per Boysen wrote:
>On 14 aug 2007, at 15.24, Mech wrote:
>
>>Per, if you're going to tackle making a second fretless, here's
>>another thought: go for a 12-string.
>
>That's an interesting idea! I've had an electric 12-string once,
>that I tuned in fifths (inspired by Lyle Mays sound when he had
>zithers all over the grand's top). I'v also been thinking that it
>would be nice to have a four string fretless, hopefully with a quite
>narrow finger board. You may as well get rid of the thinner, high
>pitched, strings for fretless, because they don't sound very
>interesting anyway. I'd rather play a thicker string at a low fret
>and create high notes by feedback overtones, since the lower neck
>playing position gives you better pitch control.

You could also try keeping 6 or 12 strings, but using a lower tuning
and thicker strings.  I've got mine tuned to an Arabian Oud tuning --
DGADGC -- so it is overall about two whole tones lover than a
conventional guitar.  That may also be a reason why it works so
nicely.  But you do need to make certain that you've got the action
nice and low to compensate for the larger gauge strings.  (In fact, I
should be getting mine back from the shop later this week.  It's
having the action lowered/neck shimmed and the original pickups
replaced; unfortunately, my luthier set it up for his action
preference, rather than mine.  C'est la vie.)

Are you coming to L2k7 this year?  I think I'll be bringing the
FrankenVox and VG setup along with me to SC, and if you're coming
over you're more than welcome to check it out.

>I have yet not started using a filter pedal (wha?) in the
>Sustaniac-C loop, but with such a setup you can pretty much sweep
>the sustained feedback note through different overtones.

Let us know how well that works (are you planning on using a full
filter or a wah, BTW?).  I always wanted to try putting an EQ or
somesuch in the effect loop to manipulate the feedback, but I never
had the right pedal at the right moment to try it out.  And then, of
course, I got distracted by something else.  :P

Maybe Ted has experimented with that on his Sustainiac...?

        --m.
--
_____
"I want to keep you alive so there is always the possibility of