re: Subject: Laptop-based looping

Andrew,

Sonar is useful for creating loops in post-production, but not really
for real-time improvisation.  It's a powerful recording and midi
sequencing environment, though.

Sonar's architecture will not properly support hosting Mobius as a VST
plug-in.  Bottom line is that you can't record the Mobius output.
REAPER serves as the VST host in my environment, as well as recording
all the audio tracks (audio and midi inputs as well as looped output).

Ableton will allow you to host Mobius for probably the most advanced
looping applications - with a price tag of about $500 US.  My friends
describe Ableton Live! as being a tool that fully supports their
creative process both as a composing and recording environment.

Even without a foot controller, if you have a Windows PC with a modest
amount of RAM and midi and audio interfaces, you can download REAPER and
Mobius and start looping and recording your loopage today for free.
REAPER is shareware, so you send the developer a license fee if you
decide to use it after 30 days.  Jeff Larsen (the  developer of Mobius)
is a contributor to this group as you may already know, and both
products have active user communities.

I just re-programmed FCB1010 midi footpedal configuration in about 5
minutes using the Mobius 'midi-learn' feature - fantastic!

Dan Ash
White Plains, NY