Ritardandi and accelerandi when live-looping.... any ideas?

A long standing frustration of mine is that I'm finding it so
difficult to do ritardandi and accelerandi when live-looping. Has
anyone else been thinking along the same lines? Maybe someone has
ideas on how to get away with it?

I was listening to pianist Rob Costlow and experiencing how powerful
instant tempo changing really is.
http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/costlow-woods/

One technique I use today is to loop a phrase and change the playback
rate so it will play in a different pitch and by a different loop
length. If you combine that with other simultaneously sounding
phrases that stay on the beat you get close to the feel of rit 'n
acc. But it's not the same thing. Maybe if using a Repeater (that
does instant time-stretching to keep pitch the same over tempo
changes) and "play" a continuous tempo controller along with
instrument and loopers? Any ideas on that?

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)